Friday, September 3, 2010

Parasitism? Commensalism? No, mutualism.

I have some big news today.
Before I start, I may as well get the bad news over with. Due to the cage transfer, Chickapee stopped laying eggs. It's a shame because she just started and I was hoping for 3 fertile eggs. I want at least one egg. The worst part is that she may not start back up again for as long as 6 weeks.
Now for the good part. I saw my dad come home from work and ran outside. I'm always happy when my dad comes home. He gave me a big hug and said, "I saw these really cool halloween toys from Burger King. I know you think toys are childish, but I'm sure you'll like them." He handed me a brown paper bag with some holes in it and I looked inside. A little week-old chick looked back up at me and started chirping. I held it in my hand and it closed its eyes. After calling eight different feed stores that said they did not carry any birds anymore, this was an amazing surprise. The chick and KirbyII are getting along very well.
With no more squawking from KirbyII but the chick making even more noise, it seemed like there wasn't much of an advantage to this other than having a baby chicken. KirbyII nudged the chick to the food and he/she started eating right away. So, KirbyII has a friend, the chick has a "father", and I have another adorable pet. All's well that ends well.
-Roey

No comments:

Post a Comment